Thursday, October 27, 2011

Best Crime Songs - Arson

"April 29, 1992," Sublime. I was a skinny white kid living in suburban Canada during the Rodney King riots, and was only in 9th grade, so participating in them wouldn’t exactly have been feasible, but when I first heard this song, their knowing taunt about how “You were sittin’ home watching your T.V. while we were participating in some anarchy” amplified my sense of suburban geekiness and made me feel like I’d missed out on something really really awesome. “Red lights flashing, time to retire, and then we turned that liquor store into a structure fire” makes the arson seem both completely unnecessary and gleefully cool. (This song could have also won in the Riot and Robbery categories, but I wanted to give someone else a shot.)

No comments: